(Guest Post by my friend Dave from Sheffield)
I was also surprised that you chose to question the most minor and trivial parts of his blog post “Alex Callinicos, Charlie Kimber and the investigation of rape“. Surely it is completely irrelevant whether the controversial session at 2011 conference was “special” or a CC slate session and I’m amazed you spent time dealing with.You seem to have totally missed the key point Dave Renton makes, so I will ask you nice and simply.
“Alex. Were you aware in 2010 that comrade W was complaining about a serious sexual assault and that some women SWP members were judging it as rape?”
While I’m about it, could you please answer these questions also
- If the 2012 Disputes Committee investigation was sound, why has the CC already implemented some changes to the way it deals with disputes via the DC?
- Do you support the changes recommended by the Disputes Committee Review Body published in “IB1“? If so are you saying that the 2012 investigation was inadequate?
- As International Secretary of the SWP’s “International Socialist Tendency” (apologies if I have the incorrect job title), were you aware of the rape crisis scandal that tore apart the SWP’s sister organisation (Linksruck) in Germany in 2001
- Were you aware that the Linksruck “CC had been aware of these allegations for some time but had not reacted to them”? Did you know about the sexual assaults before the Linksruck membership? Did you advise them to ensure that supporting the victims was their priority?
- What role did you play during Linksruck’s crisis? Did you really invoke the “prime directive” of not interfering in another IST group’s internal affairs? If not, what did you say to your friends on the CC when at the September 2001 conference they tried to use bureaucratic procedures to prevent the rape issue being properly discussed?
- Why, as international secretary did you not ensure that all IST supporters were aware of what had happened in the German group and what lessons had been learnt to make sure such disgraceful behaviour by the “leadership”couldn’t be repeated?
- What did you learn from the experience of the CC Linksruck covering up sexual harassment and sexual violence?
- Did you use any of the wisdom you gained by either following or being involved in the German case to help the leadership of the British SWP deal with things a lot better?
I’m sorry if I sound like a lawyer.
But until these questions are answered fully, only the wilfully blind will ever trust you again.
You may reply via my friend “Jo Bloggs” Facebook page, Jo’s “Facing Reality” facebook page or comment here. Better still, lets have it in the next ISJ!
Dave, SWP member 1984-2013